Explore Post-Secondary STEM Activities
The Oregon Coast STEM Hub connects students who are in or heading toward post-secondary STEM programs to find scholarships, internships, competitions, and other opportunities.
- Mystic Aquarium REU - paid internship - This summer aquaculture internship opportunity is at Mystic Aquarium and University of Connecticut. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- Schmidt Ocean Institute - Student Opportunities - Undergraduate and graduate students take part in seagoing oceanographic research on board the R/V Falkor. Apply by February 24, 2017.
- MATE/UNOLS Summer internship - Applications for 2-12 week summer internships for undergraduates on board a research vessel are due by March 15, 2017.
- Ocean Exploration Trust science and engineering internships - Intern positions for undergraduate and graduate students entail 2-5 week periods working aboard E/V Nautilus as Data Loggers, ROV Pilots, or Video Engineers. Applications accepted until January 20, 2017.
- Northwest Fisheries Science Center internships - Career training opportunities at the headquarters in Seattle, WA and at five research stations throughout Washington and Oregon for high school, undergraduate, and graduate student interns.
- Oregon Chapter of the American Fisheries Society - link - Provides annual $2000 scholarships for fisheries scholars at the undergraduate level and higher. The deadline to apply is December 31, 2016.
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship - link - Provides scholarships to college sophomores and juniors majoring in STEM fields. The deadline for nomination is January 27, 2017.
- NOAA Scholarships (link) provide tuition support up to $9500 per year for junior and senior year of college. In addition, they offer paid summer internships at NOAA facilities across the country, summer stipends, housing and travel allowances. Applicants must be U.S. Citizens enrolled in an undergraduate program or are transfering to a 4 year college from a community college. Applications accepted until January 31, 2017
>Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship Program - link
>Educational Partnership Program (EPP) Undergraduate Scholarship - link
- OU Scholarships for Oregon Scientists - link
The SOS II program provides scholarships of up to $10,000 to incoming freshmen and transfer students majoring in chemistry, biochemistry, or physics at the University of Oregon. Applications are due February 28, 2017.
- Oregon State University College of Engineering Scholarships - link - Includes a Dean's Scholarship for first year engineering and computer science students, and an award for students who participated in FIRST Robotics and FIRST Tech Challenge in high school. Most applications due by February 2017.
- Scholarships for Women - link - Computer Science Online lists a variety of scholarships available for women in the field of computer science.
- Northwest Scientific Association Scholarships - link - awards annual grants to support student research in the pure and applied sciences conducted in northwestern North America. Research grants of up to $750 are available to winning high school or undergraduate proposals. Submissions due by January 15, 2016.
- Oregon Sea Grant Summer Scholars Program - link - This ten-week program places qualifying undergraduate students from around the country with public agencies (federal, state, and local) to provide students with hands-on experience under the mentorship of a career professional in the fields of marine science, policy, management and outreach. Applications due February 22, 2016.
- Marine Technology Society Scholarship Program - link - Available to high school seniors and college undergraduate and graduate students studying in marine science, marine engineering and/or marine technology fields. Applications due by April 19, 2017.
- Surfrider Coos Bay Chapter Scholarships - link - Targeted for students looking to enter or continue in an educational pathway with emphasis on the natural or environmental sciences. Available to students from Coos County high schools, Pacific High School in Curry County, and students at Southwestern Oregon Community College. Applications due by May 7, 2017.
- Pathways to Science - link - Use this website to find programs such as undergraduate summer research opportunities, graduate fellowships, postdoctoral positions, as well as resources and materials pertaining to recruitment, retention, and mentoring.
- US Department of Education - link - This website contains a large list of undergraduate internship and fellowship opportunities in science.
- Community College Innovation Challenge - link
From the National Science Foundation. Teams propose innovative STEM-based solutions for real-world problems. Submissions accepted until February 15, 2017.
- Oregon Regional MATE ROV Competition - link
Build a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and use it to complete underwater missions. The Oregon Regional MATE ROV Competition will be held April 29, 2017.
Women and Minorities: